Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Gee(SA), I'm touched.

I assigned the AP students a project on Civil Rights so that they could teach each other about the long running civil rights movement in this country. I let them pick out of a list which included Gay Rights, African American Rights 1800-1900, African American Rights 1900-present, a number of key decades from the 20th century, Women's rights 1800-1950 and then 1950-present, minority voting rights. There was a lot of overlap, but I was thinking that the overlap would help drill important facts into their little heads.

I was thinking brief presentations, i.e., no more than 10 minutes, so that everyone could present.

One of the groups created a 30 minute presentation on Gay Rights. They interviewed 2 students and 2 teachers and compiled this whole True Life deal with questions touching on coming out and what not.

Malheureusement, it was about 9% relevant to the actual assignment, so I had to cut it off.

I applauded their juevos/cohones, but yeesh, talk about putting me in an awkward spot.

Bien sur, it's always easier to apologize than ask permission, so I guess I'm lucky that the only student whose parents could conceivably bring charges of corruption against me stormed out of the class mid-vid.

Then again. Why am I even worried about being charged with "corrupting" kids with "gay" facts at all? I told them I would publish it on teachertube but I "got busy."

No comments:

Post a Comment